[Asterisk-Users] CONSOLE/dsp and command line play of wave file

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Mon Nov 29 14:38:26 MST 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 16:15 -0500, Jerry Geis wrote:
> Is there a way to have asterisk setup in ALSA mode (which is working)
> but also be able to "play file.wav" and hear that also.
>
> CONSOLE/dsp is working.
> If I stop asterisk and "play file.wav" that works.
> But if asterisk is running I cannot also play a file.wav
>
> I am not actually doing them at the same time. Just a couple files
> here and there to play. But as is I have to stop asterisk to play them
> and then restart asterisks. do want to do that.

You need to use ldd to check and make sure play is using alsa. Most
likely asterisk and the play command are trying to latch onto the OSS
emulation of alsa and are blocking on the single access nature of OSS. I
think there is a alsaplay command that is available and would get away
from the blocking issue. Also put a noload on the chan_oss.so module so
you don't have it getting in the way either.