[Asterisk-Users] asterisk based bbs

Jim Van Meggelen jim at vanmeggelen.ca
Sun Nov 28 14:29:10 MST 2004

asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com wrote:
> In data Sun, 28 Nov 2004 16:55:06 +0100, Michael Vogel
> <icarus at dabo.de> ha scritto:
>
>> lenz schrieb:
>>>  I was wondering: anybody ever wrote an asterisk based bbs? not a
>>> bbs about asterisk, but a vocal bbs that runs on asterisk, so that
>>> people can call, hear the discussion of the day, leave messages,
>>> etc.
>>
>> It doesn't really make sense to me. It only makes sense for some very
>> limited fields. e.g. when somebody cannot read or write (he hasn't
>> learned it or is blind). Everybody else could use the computer. Most
>> people who would use such a system do have a computer at home I
>> guess.
>>

> yes, but it could be a funny thing to do. I have been a long
> time bbs
> enthusiast and would have loved - back in the beginning of
> the 90s, with
> the first 14400 voice modems - to run a voice only bbs, with people
> talking instead of typing. now with * it is not only
> feasible, but by
> linking up to some free phone number provider could be free
> for everyone
> to use. so I thought this idea would come up in somebody
> else's mind....
> :-)
> l.

It's a very interesting idea. The more I think about it, the more I
wonder . . .

I like it somehow, but I can't quite picture how people would use it.

Probably there'd need to be some sort of GUI so that threads could be
identified and sorted. Each message would contain an audio recording
instead of text, so you'd pick the thread, connect via your media device
and listen/post using your audio connection coupled with the GUI.

A few questions come to mind:
How would you quote?
Top post vs. bottom post?

I think a new paradigm would be needed, but the technology and the
network are certainly up to it.

And just think of how much more exciting flame wars could get! One could
affect a Winston Churchill accent and really let loose! And forget
smileys -- Now there's sound effects!!

Very visionary thinking. Whether it's a good idea or not? Only time will
tell.