[Asterisk-Users] Hardware performance issues - Zaptel / wct4xxp for TE405P

Niels Chr. Sørensen niels at powerline.dk
Sun Nov 28 01:32:11 MST 2004

Hi,

We have an installation that is expanding rapidly. We are about to move from
1 x E1 towards 4 x E1 (PRI CPE) and therefor we bought a TE405P card.

Having set up a "test" mashine based on a 2,4GHz Celeron CPU and 256MB RAM,
all is fine while modprobing a single E1 span (30 B lines + 1 D) on our
spare TE100P.

BUT:
When we add in the TE405P and configure 2 E1 span, the modprobe takes about
a half a minute. Optimistically we tested it with all 4 spans available on
the card; result was that the mashine never reentered prompt state :-(

The kernel used is a Debian 2.4.22 and we generally have Asterisk running on
the testbox except from this issue. SMP is disabled and correct
processortype selected in kernel.

Main gateway is based on a single Xeon 2,4GHz - after this test we worry a
bit about performance issues when moving to this platform.

Here is some additional data from our set-up (please note that the telco we
peer against require that the spans is set up on timeslot level for them to
be able to show custumer Caller-ID correctly through their Nokia PRI NET):

/etc/zaptel.conf:
# E405P PRI
span=1,1,0,ccs,hdb3,crc4,yellow
span=2,0,0,ccs,hdb3,crc4,yellow
span=3,0,0,ccs,hdb3,crc4,yellow
span=4,0,0,ccs,hdb3,crc4,yellow

bchan=1-15,32-46,63-77,94-108
dchan=16,47,78,109
bchan=17-31,48-62,79-93,110-124

# global parameters
loadzone = nl
defaultzone=nl

/etc/asterisk/zapata.conf:
[trunkgroups]
[channels]
group = 1
context=default
switchtype=national
signalling = pri_cpe
channel => 1-15,17-31
pri_dialplan=national
usecallerid=yes
hidecallerid=no
callwaiting=yes
restrictcid=no
usecallingpres=yes
callwaitingcallerid=yes
threewaycalling=yes
cancallforward=yes
callreturn=yes
echocancel=yes
echocancelwhenbridged=yes
relaxdtmf=yes
rxgain=0.0
txgain=0.0
immediate=no
musiconhold=default
context=default

group = 2
context=default
signalling = pri_cpe
channel => 43-46, 48-54
callerid=asrecived
pri_dialplan=national
switchtype=national
usecallerid=yes
hidecallerid=no
callwaiting=yes
restrictcid=no
usecallingpres=yes
callwaitingcallerid=yes
threewaycalling=yes
cancallforward=yes
callreturn=yes
echocancel=yes
echocancelwhenbridged=yes
relaxdtmf=yes
txgain=0.0
txgain=0.0
immediate=no
musiconhold=default

Should we run out and buy 2 new 3GHz processors for the server or is the
issue here "Celeron" or even better: are we doing something wrong (cheapest
approach :-)

Thanks in advance

/Niels - Denmark

---