[Asterisk-Users] IAXy and DHCP

Jim Van Meggelen jim at vanmeggelen.ca
Sat Nov 27 21:32:00 MST 2004

asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got an IAXy, and provided it with connection
> data - unfortunately didn't provide a fixed ip address, but left with
> dhcp.
>
> Everthing went fine, and I could work a while with it.
>
> After a restart of IAXy, it didn't negotiate a new
> IP address, nor used the old one. I even restarted
> the DHCP server and cleared its cache. No success.
>
> I went to another office with a different network and
> a different DHCP server:
>
> IAXy negotiated a new IP address - once. No more after restart.
>
> Ok, I want to provide it with a fixed ip address now, but
> IAXy doesn't communicate anymore, because it doesn't
> negotiate with any DHCP server, nor uses any static
> ip address in question. I even tried a third DHCP server
> within another ip network. No success.
>
> Pushing IAXy's reset button doesn't change anything.
>
> Is there any trick to get IAXy negotiating at least
> once again an ip address?
> Or is this an indicator, that this IAXy is no more
> working now at all?
>

> Roger.

The IAXy is a bit of a strange beastie when it comes to configuration,
but it's basically a solid product and yours is more than likely OK.

In this particular case what you'll probably need to do is run a sniffer
program such as Ethereal to see what the IAXy is up to. Whatever state
it may be in, it should reveal its IP address to a packet sniff. Once
you've sniffed its IP address, you can use that address with the IAXy
config tool to send a new configuration to it.

And that button that looks like it would serve as a reset button is in
fact, just a button. Seriously, that button does nothing whatsover.
Strange, but true.

Cheers,

Jim.