[Asterisk-Users] Playing reveived message WAV file

Jeff Roberts listbox at adamsbrothers.com
Fri Nov 26 09:33:57 MST 2004

Joseph wrote:

>>>What Linux players support WAV format?
>>>

>>Many support wav. Few support GSM codec in wav format. You can use sox
>>to convert to signed linear wav so you can play with all wav capable
>>players.
>>

>I think yours is the correct answer.  The file is GSM codec in wav
>format.  After converting it to MP3 I have no problem playing it.
>
>Is there a way to tell asterisk to send me MP3 format instead of WAV?

Joseph,

I had better results with mplayer than any other player I tried.
Mplayer will play the .wav, and the .WAV files,  which are the
uncompressed and gsm encoded wavs.  I could only get xmms to play the
uncompressed wavs, whichever one that is.  I tried several plugins and
never got xmms to work with the gsm encoded wavs, although I could have
been doing it wrong.  I was never able to get mplayer to play the .gsm
files.  I tried vlc (videolan client) with some sucess with wavs but I
ended up using mplayer.  You might also try realplayer/helix player, I
never got around to trying it.

-jeff