[Asterisk-Users] Billing (itemized) in the UK

Peter Hoppe peter at radioworldwide.org
Thu Nov 25 14:15:07 MST 2004

Solution found!

I connected a recording device to the line and called the same number (near London) from different
devices. The recording I played into an audio editor (cool edit) and played the files with a program
that could decode DTMF signals. The program then showed the numbers I dialed. Except for the
recording from one or two devices (missed digit / double digit => audio not clean) with every
device the dialled number was:

1666www<station_id>w<dialed_number>

The first tests failed because I tried a local number and we have least-cost-routing as well, so
that 1666 only works with non-local numbers.

So many thanks for all your help, esp. Tim Robinson's comment which brought me on the right track!
Also for those who gave me different dial commands - I will look into that. We should now be able to
connect asterisk to the PSTN line and still get the itemized bills from our telco as before.

One post asked why we wouldn't move over to ISDN - the reason is that our analog lines have so far
sufficed for us in every respect and I try to follow the maxime: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Peter