[Asterisk-Users] SIP Phones-Receptionist Setup

Carmi Weinzweig carmi-asterisk-users at jimiscool.com
Thu Nov 25 11:24:57 MST 2004

On Nov 21, 2004, at 11:15 AM, Wayne Sheppard wrote:

> Tracy R Reed wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Nov 20, 2004 at 06:55:56PM -0500, Noah Miller spake thusly:
>>
>>> This does seem to be a common request, but I haven't seen any great
>>
>> Yes, it is. I am surprised * still can't do it.
>>

> I'm not surprised. Asterisk is a PBX, not a key system or a hybrid
> system. The kind of functionality that is being described here is one
> or both of those 'other' beasts. Now I'm not saying that this wouldn't
> be nice, or even a long term requirement if you really want to open
> the entire SME market, but it's not typical PBX behavior.

I would like you to name one PBX that does not support this behavior?
Every system from Avaya including their Definity, Merlin Legend, Merlin
Magix, Partner, and their new IP based PBXes support it, as do those
from Mitel, Nortel, InteCom and every other system that I have ever
used. A typical example is a manager/admin setup that works as follows:

	Sarah a manager has a phone on her desk with call appearances for her
main number (x-3123).
	She also has a phone on her office conference table with its own
number (x-3302) but also with shared call appearances for her main
number (x-3123).
	She shares a conference room with Ed, John, Steve, Susan and Simon.
All their phone numbers have shared call appearances that conference
room's phone.

	Molly (Sarah's administrative assistant) has a phone with shared call
appearances for Sarah, Ed and Susan (two other Executive Team members
for whom she provides shared coverage with Wendy and Lisa).

When a call comes in for Sarah on x-3123, Molly can answer it, and just
by looking at those little red and green lights on her phone she can
tell if Sarah is on a call or not. She can then place this call on hold
(not park it, just hit that red hold button) and call Sarah announcing
this call.

Sarah can answer this call just by pressing that button next to the
flashing light (indicating a call on hold) and picking up her phone.
She does not have to use call pick up. She can also pick this call up
on her office conference table, or in the Executive Team's conference
room in exactly the same way, not needing to understand or know
anything else ("press the button with my name on it next to the
blinking green led").

All of this was done using a PBX (an Avaya Definity), never using call
pickup, or an operator console (just a standard 28 button phone for
Molly, Wendy and the Executive Team conference room, and a standard 10
button phone for Sarah, Steve, Ed, John, and Simon). This is a real
example at a real company, not just something made up as a straw man.

If you want to see examples of this, I would be happy to take you to
the Math Department at University of Illinois (Nortel), Sony Pictures
Imageworks (Avaya) or Argonne National Laboratory's Energy and
Environmental Systems group (InteCom).

> In fact, if you start looking at *all* the differences in
> functionality, (i.e. call announce, hands free answer-back,
> hold/pickup scenarios, etc.) it *may* be easier to have a different
> product stream that is targeting this sort of thing. Of course that's
> easy to say, but hard to do given the number of developers that are
> actually working/contributing to * on a regular basis.

I would still like to understand how adding any of these features (even
if they were not already available on almost every PBX system sold
today), would comprise Asterisk's "PBXness" in some way that would hurt
its adoption.

> This isn't unique to *, it's the battle that every PBX vendor fights
> at least internally with product management.

Yes, but every other PBX vendor has adopted this functionality, while
Asterisk has not.

> How to be all things to all people and still have some level of
> control over the product development and support streams. I guess what
> I'm ultimately pointing to is the need to pre-qualify a prospect
> before one makes a sales proposal.

This "religious" argument ("We cannot do that because it is
unPBX-like.") seems to also miss another important factor. While large
and small organizations use this functionality, a system is almost
unusable for a small office without it (see how it is used in every
small store or company with a Merlin Legend or Magix system for
example). I am fairly convinced that smaller offices are better
candidates to adopt Asterisk than are fortune 500 companies. Not having
these features makes Asterisk much less likely to be deployed in those
environments. While Pingtel's open source sipXchange is not quite ready
(still a month or two off from what I have seen), it is getting quite
close. I think seeding this whole market segment to them is not the
best plan.

>  If there are certain aspects of PBX vs. Key System that they can't
> metabolize, or aren't willing to make the user training investment,
> then sell them what they will can rather than try to pound a square
> peg into their round hole. Does this limit the market for *? Sure
> does. But hen no matter how bad a salesman wants to sell me a minivan,
> I'm just not interested.

Given how many times this request has come up, I would like to know if
there is a technical explanation as to why this is hard?