[Asterisk-Users] Cannot open /dev/dsp

Norman Zhang norman.zhang at rd.arkonnetworks.com
Thu Nov 25 10:12:53 MST 2004

Norman Zhang wrote:
>>> Cannot open /dev/dsp: file or directory not found
>>
>> That means you probably don't have a soundcard configured. I don't
>> have one in my test box either, but that doesn't prohibit asterisk
>> from starting up. it just means you can't do certain things from the CLI.

After stop chan_oss.so and chan_also.so, the above WARNING went away.

> You are right. I don't have a sound card in this box. It's suppose to be
> PBX. ALSA is started though.
>
>> Try starting up asterisk in verbose mode, a-la:
>>
>> asterisk -vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvc

[codec_ilbc.so] => (iLBC/PCM16 (signed linear) Codec Translator)
Ouch ... error while writing audio data: : Broken pipe

Also in /var/log/asterisk/messages,  I see

Unable to open pseudo channel for timing...  Sound may be choppy.
Unable to open IAX timing interface: No such file or directory
Unable to get our IP address, Skinny disabled

Appreciate if someone could give me a few pointers here.

Regards,
Norman Zhang