[Asterisk-Users] How to make/recieve call using asterisk when thereis a power failure?

Colin Anderson ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com
Thu Nov 25 08:49:42 MST 2004

          >We use several Dell 2650 servers.  Order them with the dual DC
power supply option.

 > Buy a row of -48 batteries and a -48 power source, your servers will stay
up for hours.

That's only half of the solution. How will the phones be powered? Some
thoughts:

-If your power is iffy and you know it will go out, install a positive
interlock at the main breaker panel for those breakers responsible for your
servers. Then, get ye to the home reno store and buy a 2kw generator. When
the power goes out, the sequence is like this:

Power goes out > UPS keeps up servers > You start the generator > Interlock
switches from mains to generator > UPS "thinks" power is back

About $400 for the interlock and, say, $1200 for the generator

-Midspan POE injector will keep up your phones if it is UPS'ed as above.
Some phones suck a lot of power. My 3Com midspan injector is 200W with 24
ports, but I can only use 15 of those for my Mitel 5220's before the
injector shuts down. The 5220's take 14 W at a time!

$900 for the injector

-A small UPS for each phone would work, they are very inexpensive these days
and should keep a phone running for a few hours.

$29 at Costco X # of phones

-We have a disaster recovery plan with our telco filed. When our T1 goes
out, we call a certain number (by cell of course!) and say: "Enable the
plan" and they re route our DID's to cell numbers. This is a software change
on their end and it takes a few minutes.  This will vary by carrier, of
course. Ours (Allstream / AT & T) are really good to work with. The ILEC,
Telus? Not so much.