[Asterisk-Users] asterisk and pstn

Peter Svensson psvasterisk at psv.nu
Thu Nov 25 06:58:44 MST 2004

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004, Ashling O'Driscoll wrote:

> So basically if I want to support approx 100 calls, I would have to
> purchase a digium PRI card and then pay eircom (or whoever my service
> provider is) approx 3000 a year for the PRI ISDN connection??

100 simultaneous calls would require 4 E1 based PRIs. That would give you
120 simultaneous calls. For this volume few other options exist if you go
for traditional telephony solutions.

> My other option is to have a BRI connection which could support
> approx 8 calls ("calls perline, 4 line card) and pay my service
> provider alot less for a bri connection.

Or did you mean 10 simultaneous calls? For that eiter a single pri or
several bri:s are possible. The pri route may be simpler.

> I could also use an fxo card in * connected to my hpine line but that
> would only support one call at a time.

Isdn connection gives you a lot more than just greater density of
connections. You get answer and disconnect supervision and overall a
better call handling.

> Are these the only main implementation options? Has anyone come
> across the Skype Voip gateway (VTA1000) or where does that fit in the
> scheme of things?.....are there new options emerging??

In most countries there are one or several operators providing VoIP
connections to the pstn. These could provide you with SIP, H.323 or
perhaps even IAX based connections over IP.

Peter