[Asterisk-Users] vm notification no longer contains calling party

Steve Prior sprior at geekster.com
Wed Nov 24 10:59:55 MST 2004

Jason Peck wrote:

> I take it that you are talking about the commented out ";emailbody="
> line?  I guess that could be.  I just figured that since it was:

Yup, that's the one.

> Looking at app_voicemail.c there is a line that says:
>
> pbx_builtin_setvar_helper(ast, "VM_CALLERID", (callerid ? callerid : "an
> unknown caller"));
>
> The "pbx_builtin_setvar_helper" function, as well as how it's called in
> app_voicemail.c, is the same in my old and new versions.  I can't find
> exactly where the CDRs are written, but one would assume that it uses a
> similar function to get CIDName and CIDNum.
>
> --jason

At first I wasn't that curious once I got it fixed by uncommenting the emailbody
line in voicemain.conf.  I still think it is a little weird that the commented
line in the sample file doesn't match what the default really is, but I'll get
over it.

Since you seem to be more interested in the details I took a look through the CVS
histories and found where the change really happened (it wasn't caused by the line
you mentioned).  Between revisions 1.151 and 1.152 of app_voicemail.c the lines:

fprintf(p, "Dear %s:\n\n\tJust wanted to let you know you were just left a %s long message (number
%d)\n"
"in mailbox %s from %s, on %s so you might\n"
"want to check it when you get a chance.  Thanks!\n\n\t\t\t\t--Asterisk\n\n", vmu->fullname,
dur, msgnum + 1, mailbox, (callerid ? callerid : "an unknown caller"), date);

were changed to:

fprintf(p, "Dear %s:\n\n\tJust wanted to let you know you were just left a %s long message (number
%d)\n"
"in mailbox %s from %s, on %s so you might\n"
"want to check it when you get a chance.  Thanks!\n\n\t\t\t\t--Asterisk\n\n", vmu->fullname,
dur, msgnum + 1, mailbox, (cidname ? cidname : (cidnum ? cidnum : "an unknown caller")), date);

And this is what caused the new behavior.  I happen to think that the sample file should
also have been changed to reflect the new default to avoid confusion.

Steve