[Asterisk-Users] asterisk and pstn

Ashling O'Driscoll ashling.odriscoll at cit.ie
Wed Nov 24 09:17:21 MST 2004

Hi,

First of all apologies because this isn't strictly a purely asterisk
question.

I am quite new to asterisk and actually to voip/telephony as a whole.
I currently have sip calls working through asterisk. The asterisk
server is behind a linksys router. I would now like to connect calls
to the pstn. I have researched into several ways to do this but
because I am not very knowledgeable about telephony I am now quite
confused. This is what i understand so far. If this is incorrect or
if anybody has any ideas as to I could implememnt this in a
better/more scalable fashion, I would really appreciate it.

I could put a fxo card in my asterisk server and connect this to a
telephone line. This would enable sip to pstn calls but only one call
at a time. To connect analog phones from the inside network(i.e. the
asterisk network) going out I would need an fxs card.

Now the problem with the above scenario is that only one call would
be allowed at a time. I know I could get an fxo card with a few ports
but that would still only allow a few calls. To implement a network
where several calls are possible then do I need a pbx with a PRI
interface?? Also where does all the digium cards come in all
this??Where do they fit in??

I would be extremely grateful if somebody could shed some light on my
currently very hazy understanding of voip telephony with asterisk

Thanks again,
Aisling.

The above electronic mail transmission is confidential and intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. Its contents may be protected by legal and/or professional privilege. Should it be received by you in error please contact the sender at the above quoted email address. Any unauthorised form of reproduction of this message is strictly prohibited. The Institute does not guarantee the security of any information electronically transmitted and is not liable if the information contained in this communication is not a proper and complete record of the message as transmitted by the sender nor for any delay in its receipt.