[Asterisk-Users] Creating CDR's with online connected time

Eric Wieling eric at fnords.org
Wed Nov 24 02:46:48 MST 2004

Carsten Bock wrote:
> Hi,
>
> el Flynn wrote:
>
>> Carsten Bock wrote:
>>
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> How do i setup asterisk, so that in the CDR's is only the time, which
>>> the line actually was connected? Not the time, the line was up, but
>>> the time the user was able to talk to another user.
>>

>> isn't it already in there?
>

> I guess not.
> Here in germany it is common, that you just bill the time, the people
> were talking to each other. Example: If i call someone on the phone, but
> he does not answer the call,  the billsec-row is larger than 0, even
> though we did not talk to each other.
> Other example: I call someone on the phone and wait, let's say 3
> minutes, till he answers my call, then we talk 30 seconds. The
> billsec-row is then 210 Seconds (180 sec. waiting + 30 sec. talking). I
> need to know, that they were actually just talking 30 seconds.
> That is my problem.

You do not say what type of interface you are using to handle the calls,
but I assume it is an analog type of interface (X100P or TDM400P w/FXO
ports).  With analog ports Asterisk cannot determine when the far end
answers.  Asterisk just assumes the line is answered as soon as the
dialing is done.  There are a few hacks to work around this, but they
all require the person that is being called to press a key to accept the
call.

Digital ports like ISDN BRI, ISDN PRI, IAX, SIP, etc do not have this
problem.  Most VoIP providers use PRI and so also do not have this
problem.  This is not unique to Asterisk.  Most analog PBXs have this issue.

Some types of voice T-1 (non-PRI) lines may also have this problem,
depending on the signaling used.

This is covered over and over again in the mailing list archives, but I
  don't know how easy it would be to find relevant messages in the archives.

The correct term for what you want is "answer supervision" or "far end
answer supervision"

--Eric

--
I am seeking part or full time employment in Toronto, The Netherlands,
or Belgium.  My preference is part time employment in Toronto with