[Asterisk-Users] MGCP

Stewart Nelson sn at scgroup.com
Tue Nov 23 22:55:09 MST 2004

>>> I haven't found any recent information on this, but can Asterisk
>>> act as a MGCP UserAgent?

>> I wish I was wrong, but I think right now MGCP in Asterisk is CallAgent
>> only.
>> http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk%20MGCP%20channels

> Any other ideas for interacting with an MGCP provider?

You could, of course, connect an MGCP ATA to FXO port(s) or device(s).
That solution degrades quality, increases delay, may have echo problems,
etc.  However, it's an easy way to get started, e.g. if you have a
spare ATA-186 that you can load some MGCP firmware into.

I am seeking a proper solution to the same problem, as my ISP in
France, Free Telecom, bundles MGCP service at very aggressive rates
(including free calls to fixed phones anywhere in France) with their
ADSL service.  I have looked at some SIP <-> MGCP and H.323 <-> MGCP
gateways, but they only talk the Call Agent side of the protocol.

If you have found a solution, please let me know.  If not, perhaps
we could work together to write one.  One possibility is enhancing
MGCP support in * to allow it to act as a User Agent.  Another is a
stand-alone script, e.g. in perl, that would do SIP <-> MGCP.
I'd be open to other suggestions, too.

Thanks,

Stewart