[Asterisk-Users] need some advice

Ed Greenberg edg at greenberg.org
Tue Nov 23 19:39:37 MST 2004

OK, here's my simple explanation...

Incoming service, called FXO... that is, telephone offices (lines): These
need to be terminated in your asterisk box. Digium sells a variety of
hardware for the purpose. I use a TDM400 card which takes four little
modules. I have two FXO modules for my two lines.

Incoming service via VOIP. Many VOIP services can terminate directly in
your asterisk box. Some require that you use THEIR hardware (like Vonage).
If the latter kind, you will have to use another FXO module or change VOIP
providers.

Analog telephone sets are terminated in FXS ports. Again, Digium makes
several options. I terminate two sets in my TDM400 card. One is a cordless
phone. The other is a regular telephone.

Digital (voip) phones need to be added to the network. Most of these are
expensive, even on eBay, but heck, we are doing this for fun, not to same
money, right? You can plug these phones into your hubs or plug them into
wifi with an ethernet to wifi bridge. I haven't tried this, but I am going
to work on it over Thanksgiving unless we go away. I'll certainly post my
results.

If you have a free PCI card in your Debian box, you could install a TDM400
with one FXO and three FXS cards. You could wire your analog line and your
analog phones to the back of the Debian box. You could also buy some IP
phones.

A really good resource for this is www.voip-info.org. There is a lot of
collected info.

So you get an idea of what's possible, here is a look at my system:

Two phone lines terminated in Digium FXO ports.
Two incoming IP lines, one from Voicepulse and one from ipkall.
Incoming service from free world dialup.
Incoming "tie lines" from several friends Asterisk boxes.
A nice 2.4 GHz cordless phone with a spare handset connected to an FXS.
(Living room and bedroom - extension 208)
A desk phone connected to an FXS (ext 201)
A Cisco 7940 two line IP phone on 202 and 203 (borrowed -- too expensive to
buy)
Several soft phones on PCs, just for experimenting. (205,206)

Feel free to question on this.

</edg>
Ed Greenberg
San Jose, CA