[Asterisk-Users] NEED HELP!!

Geoff Nordli geoffn at gnaa.net
Tue Nov 23 11:55:56 MST 2004

asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com <> scribbled on Tuesday, November
23, 2004 10:20 AM:

>> Did you know that you can obtain commercial support for Asterisk?
>>
>> http://www.digium.com/index.php?menu=software_support
>>
>> I am sure it will be cheaper than dropping Asterisk and moving to a
>> different platform.
>>
>> Have a great day!
>>
>> Geoff

> Hi Geoff,
>
> The problem is that I don't think Asterisk is causing the
> problem (not
> entirely anyway), I think its the internet and that IAX is
> too sensitive
> to packet loss so when the packet loss exceeds a certain threshold it
> just drops the call instead of trying to recover and maybe having a
> second or two gap in the voice..
>
> The problem is that a) I can't confirm this because the log
> isn't clear
> to me and b) I wouldn't know where to go to try and make IAX more
> tolerant of lost packets..
>
> My IAX connection runs over an ADSL line and it does get CRC
> errors and
> errored seconds occasionally (but these are very low) and
> obviously the
> internet is not a guaranteed delivery..
>
> Later..

In order to run VOIP you need to have a reliable network with enough
bandwidth.  You can try different codecs.  Some codecs are more tolerant to
packet loss than others.

Try using Iperf:  http://dast.nlanr.net/Projects/Iperf/

It allows you to test your network under various loads and monitors jitter
and packet loss.

Geoff