[Asterisk-Users] Re: Asterisk-Users Digest, Vol 4, Issue 300

Brian McCrary bmccrary at lwav.net
Tue Nov 23 06:34:27 MST 2004

Andrew Thompson wrote:

> You should be able to set the inbound callerid from the switch/gateway
> to a specific unknown in sip.conf file with just a callerid= line.
>
> The place I looked on the wiki didn't show a specific description for
> the callerid= line, but that's what I thought I read for it somewhere.
>
> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+config+sip.conf (currently hosed)
> http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache:IIOmLeG89KwJ:www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk%2Bconfig%2Bsip.conf+site:voip-info.org+sip.conf
> (google cache)

Thanks for the idea!! I tried putting the callerid=Unknown line (also
tried it with an actual phone number) in the sip.conf file where my
gateway config is at, but it didn't seem to help any.  If anyone has any
ideas I'd appreciate it, I might can modify the gateway by putting in a
translation rule so if the calling number is blank it will put something
in there, but I would think Asterisk would handle that.  I have used
VOCAL for awhile and it works fine with this, but I know it's relaying
SIP directly to the phone where as Asterisk acts as a "buffer" between
them.

I think otherwise Asterisk is an outstanding platform that is
very feature rich, and I'm happy to say with help of others on the list,
I have it working quite well under Solaris in a telecom environment.

Thanks,

Brian