[Asterisk-Users] IAX error tolerence??

Steve Kann stevek at stevek.com
Mon Nov 22 09:00:30 MST 2004

WipeOut wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Didn't get any opinions on the log file I mailed onto the list over
> the weekend so I am continuing to try and track the cause for the
> dropped calls..
>
> I have a feeling that its to do with IAX being way too sensitive when
> it comes to packet loss.. Since it is going across the internet it
> needs to be more tolerant when it comes to errors and packet loss..
>
> Are there any settings (in the conf file or the source) that I can
> change to make it more able to keep the call connected without
> dropping it when there are errors even if the sound breaks up for a
> couple of seconds??

There's nothing in chan_iax2 that should cause a call to be dropped if
there's packet loss for just a couple of seconds.

I think a call is not dropped until retransmission of "reliable" frames
fails 4 times, if this happens, you should see something like this in
your log:

"Max retries exceeded to host %s on %s (type = %d, subclass = %d, ts=%d,
seqno=%d)\n",

Each retry is sent 10 times later than the first retry (up to 10
seconds). The first retry is sent at twice the round-trip time between
the two endpoints.

-SteveK