[Asterisk-Users] Phones

Leif Madsen leif.madsen at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 18:50:12 MST 2004

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 16:25:39 -0800 (PST), Tony Vickers
<tvickers at idltechnology.com> wrote:
> What VOIP Phones is everyone using and why? Is the a common phone that seems
> the work the best? Just wondering.

I really like the Cisco 7960 - but its also a bit pricey.

At Astricon I was lucky enough to get a Uniden UIP200.  I would really
like this phone if it wasn't for a few problems with the firmware.
I've heard there was supposed to be a new firmware on the way, but
haven't had time to look into it.

My biggest problem is that the VAD can't be disabled from what I can
tell.  The first parts of speech are usually cut off and can make
calls sound a bit choppy sometimes.  I also haven't seen a file like
the Cisco's where you can make the phone auto-dial when certain
pattarns are dialed.  I've found a few people who really don't like
that you have to press the dial button.  Although no one seems to
notice you have to do the same thing on a cell :)

I've not used the Grandstreams.  Sure they're cheap, but you get what
you pay for I guess.  Probably a decent phone for intro, but I don't
like to give the impression that VoIP feels cheap.

Those are my experiences with phones.  I've heard the names Sipura and
Polycom thrown around a lot without a lot of explicitives.

Leif Madsen.
http://www.leifmadsen.com
http://www.hacklocalhost.com