[Asterisk-Users] SS7 for *

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Fri Nov 19 07:44:57 MST 2004

Dinesh Nair wrote:

> On 19/11/2004 21:30 Steve Underwood said the following:
>
>> I can't imagine anyone successfully integrating openss7 into
>> anything. I believe it works OK on its own, and is in use as a
>> gateway. It wasn't
>

> as a gateway between what ? if it's SS7 on one side, what's on the
> other ? SIGTRAN (SS7 over IP) on top of SCTP ?

Yep, that kind of gateway. He has his own SCTP, and doesn't use the
native Linux 2.6 one.

>> We paid the US$1k you need to pay to get access to the openss7 code,
>> and it just wasted our time.
>

> from my impression of the www.openss7.org site, it looked like they
> were licensing the source under the GPL, with other bits under the
> LGPL. does the license you bought specifically for handling closed
> source uses of the openss7 code ?

Its GPL, but you need a password for CVS, and that costs $1k. Since its
GPL, there is nothing to stop you making a mirror, I guess. We didn't
know anyone else with a copy, so we paid. As I said, it just wasted our
time.

> but seriously, we are interested in the ss7 for * work you've done,
> and the need for a commercial license doesn't phase us. we don't mind
> paying for it, but it needs to be asterisk on freebsd. would this be
> doable ?

I understand people have TE405P running on BSD now. If that is correct,
there shouldn't be a lot else to do.

Regards,
Steve