[Asterisk-Users] Unpredictables Hangups

Eric Wieling eric at fnords.org
Fri Nov 19 07:10:32 MST 2004

Stefano Finetti wrote:

> From: "Eric Wieling" <eric at fnords.org>
>
>> Google: Results 1 - 10 of about 149 from lists.digium.com for
>> "Unknown error 500".
>>
>> Specifically:
>>
>> http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2004-April/042912.html
>> http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2003-November/028105.html
>>
>> http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2003-November/028105.html
>>
>> http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2004-April/043860.html
>> http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2003-July/016538.html
>> http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2004-June/049410.html
>> http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2004-July/055478.html
>> http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2004-March/040502.html
>>
>> Usually I require dinner and drinks before this kind of heavy duty
>> handholding.  Today I guess I was just feeling sorry for someone that
>> can't google, so I figured I'd just give you a freebie.
>

> Well Eric...
> The fact is that i googled a lot.
> Read ALL the post you just linked, and a lot more.
> I've tried almost all that solutions...
> And if you had followed other pages on the google result you should have
> seen a thread opened by myself about 1 year ago on the list...
>
> Actually, i am in this situation:
>
> E100P with NO shared IRQs:
> [root at pescara /root]# cat /proc/interrupts
>           CPU0
>  0:   27710902          XT-PIC  timer
>  1:          3          XT-PIC  keyboard
>  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
>  5:   39199525          XT-PIC  eth0
> 10:  276808484          XT-PIC  t1xxp
> 11:    4083904          XT-PIC  Cyclades-PC300
> 12:          0          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse
> 14:     237800          XT-PIC  ide0
> 15:          3          XT-PIC  ide1
> NMI:          0
> LOC:   27711957
> ERR:          0
>
> No USB enabled on Motherboard, IRQ fixed via Motherboard BIOS in order
> to be absolutely sure that it won't be shared with anything (as the
> /proc/interrupts output shows well)
>
> I still go Read on 32 and Read on 37 fails with unknown error 500.
>
> Using Zttool, i see some "Lost Interrupt", but even if i reduced a lot
> the number of irq losses, they still there.
>
> It seems that there is no way to completely stop irq losses, but the
> problem is that actually i can't do anything to stop irq losses, because
> i ran out of ideas on how to solve this problem, and this is the reason
> why i was asking again here, in the hope of someone who found the same
> problem recently and found an appropriate solution.
>
> Following one of the advices from this thread, i checked for busydetect
> and busycount. Now i'm monitoring if calls are still dropped randomly.
> But it seems that PRI error and Call drops are not so-strictly linked...

Did you mention your extensive google search in your message?  If so I
didn't notice it.

Do you have a /etc/sysconfig/harddisks ?  If so uncomment USE_DMA=1,
MULTIPLE_IO=16, EIDE_32BIT=3, LOOKAHEAD=1 and add -u1 to EXTRA_PARAMS.

If you already have those enabled, try commenting out all of them except
the EXTRA_PARAMS=-u1

If all else fails replace the motherboard with something different
(different brand/chipset/etc).  Are you using any RAID?  If so disable
it.  Several people have reported problems with Promise RAID that were
solved when they removed the Promise RAID card.

--Eric