[Asterisk-Users] Re: VOIP security on an IAX connection.

Tom Ivar Helbekkmo tih at eunetnorge.no
Thu Nov 18 23:56:51 MST 2004

David Mallwitz <dave at dmallwitz.net> writes:

> I use and highly recommend [OpenVPN].

Ditto.  There's another very clear advantage to OpenVPN over IPsec,
and that's the fact that many firewalls are hard to run IPsec through,
but OpenVPN, using a single ephemeral UDP link, will work just fine.

I don't know why this should be so, but I have several colleagues who
have been burnt by purchasing the wrong DSL router/firewall, and
finding that IPsec gets damaged.  Our wireless router/firewall here at
work also did that, until we finally, after a lot of back and forth
with the producer, got a brand new software release with IPsec bug
fixes.  Note that it's not *running* IPsec, we're talking about it
letting IPsec traffic pass through it for home office VPN links.

I'm happily tunneling SIP and IAX through OpenVPN, and I'm loving it.

-tih
--
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo, Senior System Administrator, EUnet Norway Hosting
www.eunet.no  T +47-22092958 M +47-93013940 F +47-22092901 FWD 484145