[Asterisk-Users] [OT] PoE switch question (Netgear FSM7326P works with Cisco)

Sean Kennedy skennedy at tpno.org
Thu Nov 18 10:40:56 MST 2004

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> Jeb Campbell wrote:
>
>> Actually the Netgear FSM7326P does work (we have 4 of them).  And
>> they work with regular PoE.  Great price for layer 3, 24 ports of
>> 10/100 PoE, and 2 gigabit.
>

> It would be nice if Netgear would bother to document that on their
> website and/or data sheet :-)
>
> Then again, they probably didn't design any of the hardware in the
> box, so the Cisco power feature wasn't really added in on purpose,
> it's just there in the chips they are using. No matter, it's nice to
> know that it works with them.
>
> Now if someone would just make a non-managed PoE 12 port switch we'd
> be all set for our smaller clients that can't justify the cost of a
> managed switch...

Jeeze, how can you NOT justify a 1000 bucks for a PoE switch that has QoS?

I was under the impression that QoS was a requirement for VoIP.  Well,
not technically, but rationally, I wouldn't set any client up on a VoIP
system that didn't have a switch that couldn't push the VoIP packets to
the front of the queue.

But maybe I overplan things.  *shrug*

Thanks for the answer folks, much apprecaited!

Sean

Sean