[Asterisk-Users] How to generate "ringing tone" to a calling party.

Wed Nov 17 18:31:26 MST 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 12:05, Chad Scott wrote:

> >> Did you tell Asterisk to indicate ringing?
> >
> > Asterisk will ALWAYS indicate ringing if it can.
> >
> > The "r" option to Dial, Playtones, and Ringing are all
> > hacks/workarounds for when Asterisk cannot indicate ringing to the
> > calling party.  You should diagnose and fix the real problem, rather
> > than try hiding the issue.
> >
> I thought Asterisk would indicate ringing on the PRI if it hadn't
> answered it yet.  If you answer the PRI and then Dial() don't you get
> silence?
>
> Since he says he's played a welcome message, I'd think the line has
> been answered and therefore he has to indicate ringing to the dialing
> party with ",r".
>
> I might be wrong, though.

You *can* play a welcome message without answering the line, however,
this doesn't always work. eg, I tried this config on my PRI in Australia
(Telstra) and:

a) Calling from a standard analog line I got my welcome message as
expected
b) Calling from a mobile (Optus), I heard silence until the call was
answered.

If this worked properly (ie, to all phones) then it would be very useful,
however, since it doesn't always work, then I can't use it in my situation.

If anyone has comments/suggestions on how to make it work, then I would
appreciate that.

Regards,
Adam