[Asterisk-Users] Possible to display which extensions are in use on the phone's display?

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed Nov 17 13:17:21 MST 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-17 at 11:49 -0800, Tracy R Reed wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 17, 2004 at 01:13:57PM -0500, Noah Miller spake thusly:
> > >On our current phones (Iwatsu) we have a button on the
> > >phones for each extension that lights up when that
> >
> > This seems to be a popular request these days.  Most places I've seen
> > call this "shared lines" I thought this was impossible with Asterisk,
>
> And it seems to be something the developers are not interested in
> supporting. Whenever someone asks about this feature they are normally
> told that this is a feature of small-office "key" systems and that
> Asterisk has its sights set on bigger systems so this functionality is not
> pursued.

Correct, it isn't on a list for TODO as it doesn't scale to the size of
an average office. Also it is only supported via some SIP phones and
proprietary digital key set phones for which we will not get access to
the supporting cards. So time is much better spent aiming for something
that can be attained.