[Asterisk-Users] Possible to display which extensions are in use on the phone's display?

Jason Becker jason at coalescentsystems.ca
Wed Nov 17 10:57:27 MST 2004

Hi Richard,

Richard Hansberry wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We're considering using Asterisk in our small (8 user)
> office.  There is one feature that we have on our
> current phone system that I haven't seen in the
> documentation that I've read that I'd like to be able
> to replicate with Asterisk.
>
> On our current phones (Iwatsu) we have a button on the
> phones for each extension that lights up when that
> extension is ringing or is in a call, so I can see at
> a glance if one of my coworkers is on the phone before
> I go barging into his office.  Also, if I am in a
> coworker's office and my phone rings, I can hit my
> extension button on his phone and answer the call.
>
> Can this functionality be reproduced by Asterisk, and
> if so, which SIP handsets would you suggest using to
> do something like this?  Right now, I'm looking at the
> Cisco 7960, but I'm open to other options.

This question was dealt with in a recent thread. What it comes down to
is a paradigm shift from a key system unit (which is what you describe)
to a PBX.

You can use an application like Flash Operator Panel
(http://www.asternic.org/) in conjunction with Asterisk to see who is on
their phone (extension).

Regards,

--