[Asterisk-Users] Possible to display which extensions are in use on the phone's display?

Richard Hansberry richardhansberry at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 17 10:45:41 MST 2004

Hi all,

We're considering using Asterisk in our small (8 user)
office.  There is one feature that we have on our
current phone system that I haven't seen in the
documentation that I've read that I'd like to be able
to replicate with Asterisk.

On our current phones (Iwatsu) we have a button on the
phones for each extension that lights up when that
extension is ringing or is in a call, so I can see at
a glance if one of my coworkers is on the phone before
I go barging into his office.  Also, if I am in a
coworker's office and my phone rings, I can hit my
extension button on his phone and answer the call.

Can this functionality be reproduced by Asterisk, and
if so, which SIP handsets would you suggest using to
do something like this?  Right now, I'm looking at the
Cisco 7960, but I'm open to other options.

Thanks for your help,

Richard