[Asterisk-Users] Recording from AGI playback is LOW

Steve Prior sprior at geekster.com
Tue Nov 16 15:31:22 MST 2004

Steven Critchfield wrote:
>>OK, that's good information in the right direction, but then what should be
>>done to fix it?  Am I the only person having problems with low volume
>>voicemail recordings?  Is there a code patch to apply somewhere?
>

> As far as I know there is no code patch to be applied. The question
> comes basically when the recordings go off the PSTN. In the uncompressed
> WAV format, the audio is downshifted for playback. This means it is
> played at the same volume as any of the compressed formats. The question
> then I guess is maybe we need to be able to specify a gain setting and
> deal with it before we route the audio to the audio writers. But then
> again, my memory about the internals is fuzzy and not up to date right
> now as to whether that is doable. Maybe the gain setting in the
> uncompressed wav format should be removed.

It seems to me that the uncompressed file has it right here - if I playback the
uncompressed file from winamp it is just a little low, but in the ballpark.
If I do the same for the compressed files it is very low.  I would think
the goal would be for the volume in all of the files to be playable without
cranking up the volume.

But something about all of this seems a little odd to me since I'm new
to Asterisk and I would assume if this is the cause that it would have
been brought up and solved a long time ago.

So I ask again - when live conversation is generally at a decent volume
is it common for voicemail recorded messages to be low(er) volume?  When
other users have Asterisk email the recording do they generally have to
raise the volume controls on their computers to hear it?

Thanks
Steve