[Asterisk-Users] Recording from AGI playback is LOW

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Tue Nov 16 15:12:24 MST 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 17:01 -0500, Steve Prior wrote:
> Steven Critchfield wrote:
>
> >>but the 2 compressed versions are very low volume.  Apparently under the
> >>covers the system uses sox to create these compressed files.
> >

> > No it doesn't. The uncompressed version is also getting a double
> > amplification by shifting the bits up before saving and all the
> > compressed versions aren't doing the same thing. I know this as I have
> > done work in the formats directory.
>
> OK, that's good information in the right direction, but then what should be
> done to fix it?  Am I the only person having problems with low volume
> voicemail recordings?  Is there a code patch to apply somewhere?

As far as I know there is no code patch to be applied. The question
comes basically when the recordings go off the PSTN. In the uncompressed
WAV format, the audio is downshifted for playback. This means it is
played at the same volume as any of the compressed formats. The question
then I guess is maybe we need to be able to specify a gain setting and
deal with it before we route the audio to the audio writers. But then
again, my memory about the internals is fuzzy and not up to date right
now as to whether that is doable. Maybe the gain setting in the
uncompressed wav format should be removed.