[Asterisk-Users] Re: Top posting - are we there yet?

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at technion.ac.il
Tue Nov 16 14:01:30 MST 2004

On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 11:12:49AM -0600, Jay Milk wrote:
> I'm a fairly reasonable person, and I have yet to see one good argument
> (and quoting netiquette is not on argument, that's opinion) for
> bottom-posting.

Try to figure out the following:

| Because she wanted to get to the other side.
|
| | Why did the chicken cross the road?

And now try reading many such backword discussions.

> To me, it is terribly inefficient and wastes time,

Only when there is no proper quoting and/or your mailer does not hilight
quotes well enough.

> especially when you hide your post between the original message and some
> ludicrously elaborate signature.

One should not have a lengthy signature. At least such a signature
should never be quoted.

> Top-posting, to me, is more logical,
> as it presents the answer in a prominent position.  And inline-posting
> makes sense when you're responding to multiple questions or points in an
> email...

If you insist, let's try it.

As an example of why top-posting is a problem, look at this message. One
reads my reply before reading your question.

It is a waste of time when people overquote the original message.
However with top posting it is often more difficult to quote only the
relevant parts. You'll have to write some context in your reply anyway.
So you might as well quote everything and never bother.

(Not to mention that you don't have to actually go over the original
message)

Signatures should not be an issue, unless overquoted in replies.

On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 11:12:49AM -0600, Jay Milk wrote:
> I'm a fairly reasonable person, and I have yet to see one good argument
> (and quoting netiquette is not on argument, that's opinion) for
> bottom-posting.  To me, it is terribly inefficient and wastes time,
> especially when you hide your post between the original message and some
> ludicrously elaborate signature.  Top-posting, to me, is more logical,
> as it presents the answer in a prominent position.  And inline-posting
> makes sense when you're responding to multiple questions or points in an
> email...

Now which of the two made more sense?

--
mailto:tzafrir at technion.ac.il       +---------------------------+