[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk with "chan_misdn" (in USA)

Martin List-Petersen martin+asterisk at list-petersen.net
Tue Nov 16 08:44:32 MST 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 14:35, Ken Chan wrote:
> Hello,
> Has anyone tried "chan_misdn" in USA?
>
> Does anyone know "chan_misdn" support Lucent 5ess or US National ISDN-1
> protocols?
>
> I live in North America and I want to connect my BRI Phones (Tone Commander
> and Lucent i2021) to the BRI Card in Asterisk.  I was trying to use
> "bri-stuff" S/W but the S/W handles only European DSS1 protocol.
>
> Does anyone living in North America connect any "USA BRI Phones"
> to Asterisk successfully?

The problems lies in the underlying drivers. ISDN4Linux did not support
5ess or NI-1, beyond the HiSax driver, that at some point seems to have
implemented support for NI-1. This is purely TE-mode though (connecting
the ISDN card to a ISDN line). Also of course active cards, like the
Eicon Diva Server ones do 5ess and NI-1.

http://www.isdn4linux.de/faq/i4lfaq-27.html#ss27.6 explains some of the
issues regarding US ISDN.

mISDN is a complete reimplementation of the ISDN4Linux project, that
implements CAPI etc., but no mention of NI-1 or 5ess. Also looking at
the modules, i only find a "l3udss1" module, which tells me that mISDN
probably only supports DSS1 (EuroISDN). This is looking at the CVS
snapshot from 2004-09-24.

You might be better of talking to the ISDN4Linux Team (especially
Karsten Keil) to get this confirmed.

Slán leat,
Martin List-Petersen
Dublin, Eire