[Asterisk-Users] Question about remote POTS lines

TC trclark at shaw.ca
Mon Nov 15 17:03:16 MST 2004

> How remote are the remote offices? Miles? States? Countries? Best of my
> knowledge, the days of exchanges based on proximity to a particular CO
> are over, and those numbers (assuming they are in the same area code)
> often can be routed anywhere. You could also look into having a company
> like VoicePulse take over the PSTN termination and shoot you a VoIP link
> to the central * server.

> > I have a client who asked me about a situation they have.  They have a
> > main office and 3 remote offices.  We are installing an Asterisk server
> > at the main office with SIP phones in the remotes.  Each remote office
> > only has 1 person.  The remote offices currently have a POTS line that
> > has a published number.  They want to keep that number.  The problem is
> > that they would like to somehow link those remote POTS lines back to the
> > main office, so people in the main office can answer their calls when
> > they are away.  They could install an asterisk server in those remote
> > offices and link them back to the main office, but that seems like
> > overkill for a single POTS line.
hmm maybe they should have the sipura 3000 out there & analog phones
You can config it so that after so many rings on the pstn fxo port it fall
over to the
call fwd sip addr,
or
you can train the remote off  to do *72 to fwd all calls
Or
you can set up a small web page to post the same info as the sipura config
page
that allows call fwding

also a sipura gives the local office redundancy in case the inet line goes
down