[Asterisk-Users] Traffic shaping script for kernel 2.6 and SIP?

rsenykoff at harrislogic.com rsenykoff at harrislogic.com
Mon Nov 15 14:33:30 MST 2004

<snip>
Hi!

I want the SIP-traffic to have the highest priority. I guess the best
method for this is traffic shaping.

I'm using debian with kernel 2.6.5. I installed the tools "tc" and
"iptables" but I'm not really sure how to use it.

Can anybody help me in providing me a ready-made script?

Thanks!

Michael
</snip>

Michael,

I suggest you take a look at http://lartc.org/

There you can find all the info on creating a box for shaping traffic.
Currently, I configured a P200Pro w/ 128 MB of RAM + 2NICs as a bridge +
QoS + ntop. We run Citrix (highly interactive) traffic, Video, and soon to
add VoIP to the mix. The P200 works great for this. I start up the bridge
as a service, which bridges the NICs, sets an IP for the bridge (so I can
SSH to it and hit ntop from a browser), and then runs 2 scripts, one for
shaping each interface. You don't need the newest kernel. 2.4 or later has
tc. You'll also want bridge-utils for this kind of use.

I suggest you read up on CBQ and HTB and SFQ queueing disciplines. These
should help you the most. The LARTC mailing list is also quite helpful.

-Ron