[Asterisk-Users] $10 for G.729 ?

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Mon Nov 15 13:52:31 MST 2004

I think this has been answered way more then once in the last six months
or so.

>   I have already send a message to Digium but I post this again to
> know of anyone who use the G.729 codec.
>   My questions are:
>   - Do I have to pay 10$ per month or it is only this fee to use the
> codec forever
>   - How many licenses do I have to buy ? ( I have an Asterisk talking
> with two Cisco with VIC-2FXO each one, and one Cisco with a E1 )

You'll need a license for each simualtanous g.729 session in use. Be
sure to think about users calling vm, etc.

>   - If I add another Cisco with another VIC-2FXO, Do I have to buy two
> more lincenses?

Same answer. If no one is talking, no licenses are required. If you have
four simultanous conversatons, you need at least four licenses. Doesn't
make any difference if your own 1,000 Cisco cards.

>   - If I have 50 Cisco ATA Registered on my SIP.conf, Do I have to buy
> 50 licenses to use it when they talk between them without going
> through the PSTN?

Same answer. Read the words "simultanous conversations" in progress as
that is the number licenses regardless of what assets you deploy.