[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk and ISDN

Martin List-Petersen martin+asterisk at list-petersen.net
Mon Nov 15 13:54:53 MST 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 20:35, Ken Chan wrote:
> Hello,
> Has anyone actually connect a BRI telephone to the
> BRI Card running Asterisk?

Sure Ackermann Euracom P4 and Teles.FON, no problems.

> I have been trying it and no luck so far.
>
> Here is my configuration:
> H/W: T1 Trunk, a few VOIP phones, a few analog phones and
> a few BRI Phones (Lucent i2021 phone and Tone Commander phone).
>
> S/W: Asterisk 1.0?????, Linux 2.4-18, "bri-stuff", "wct4xxp"
> and "wcfxs" S/W.

You would need to load either the "zaphfc" or "qozap" driver. Depending
on what BRI card you use. wct4xxp is for the quad E1/T1 card from Digium
and wcfxs is for the TDM400P.

> Here is my problem:
> I connected the BRI phone to the BRI Card and the Q921 Layer was up.  Then
> the phone send an Information Element (Q931 Msg) to the BRI Card.
> I think that IE message' data is [0x36 0x01 0x01] (it is Switch Hook Message).
> Then the Asterisk quicklly release the "call" (although I have not made a
> call connection).
>
> Anyway, I checked the "q931.c" file in "libpri" directory.  In the "q931_receive"
> routine, the only "Information Element" message the routine handles is "overlap" dialling stuff.  So, what ever that routine does not recongize, it sends "release" message right away.
>
> So, if anyone has ever connect the BRI phone to the BRI card with Asterisk, please let
> me know what S/W you are using.

Just asterisk with bristuff, an old NTBA for termination and power on
the s-bus between the BRI card and the phone, card is hfc-s and of
course a ISDN cross-over cable (the quadbri and octobri would take care
of both power, termination and crosslink, so they don't need that).

But you need a HFC based BRI card and you need to load the correct
modules. wct4xxp and wcfxs have nothing to do with BRI support.

Slán lait,
Martin List-Petersen
Dublin, Eire
(contact info on --> http://www.marlow.dk/)