[Asterisk-Users] SysMaster and GPL Violation

Dinesh Nair dinesh at alphaque.com
Sat Nov 13 10:45:13 MST 2004

On 12/11/2004 16:08 Matteo Brancaleoni said the following:
>>I too demand sysmaster either pay Digium for a non-gpl license or
>>publicly admit the fact that they have repackaged Asterisk and
>>contribute enhancements to Asterisk back to the GPL.
>

> *if they have made any enhancements* :)

actually, the terms of the GPL do not require sysmaster to state that they
are using asterisk. all the GPL requires is that anyone who is given a
binary be also given the source (if asked) and that any enhancements made
to the original work be also GPLed. as such, sysmaster does not _have_ to
give any enhancements back, they just have to give it to their customers.

of course, since the rights of the GPL are passed on to the customers, the
customer can then distribute the enhancements to anyone they wish. :)

dinesh at alphaque.com                (0 0)    http://www.alphaque.com/