[Asterisk-Users] SysMaster and GPL Violation

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Fri Nov 12 08:26:04 MST 2004

> I too demand sysmaster either pay Digium for a non-gpl license or

Now, here, this gets to the heart of a problem I've hinted at before.

Digium is making people sign a draconian agreement that gives up rights
to patches and features that are integrated into Asterisk, by signing
rights over to Digium.

I would expect that most contributors do not realize that they are setting
up a scenario where Digium can, in fact, sell non-GPL Asterisk licenses to
third parties and essentially sell their work.

For all of the people who wanted to tell us about how horrible the BSD
license is, please explain how this state of affairs is any better.

> publicly admit the fact that they have repackaged Asterisk and
> contribute enhancements to Asterisk back to the GPL.

They are not required to contribute changes back.  They are merely
required to disclose the source code for the Asterisk portion of their
product.

... JG