[Asterisk-Users] Calling an outside number along side otherinternal extensions?

Greg Hill gregh-asterisk at hillnet.us
Sat Nov 13 06:59:41 MST 2004

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, Paul Fielding wrote:

> Hmmm... Interesting that you mention it's not a problem with VOIP
> companies as they use PRI.  The analog trunk I'm connecting to is
> actually a Vonage line.  Thing is, it seems to me that by connecting via
> the Zap channel to the Vonage ATA I'm effectively cancelling any
> advantage that Vonage's PRI might have... (?).  I don't believe I have
> any other alternatives for connecting to Vonage's service, but perhaps
> I'm wrong about that.

yeah... well, Vonage probably does use PRI.. in their office (yay, that
really helps at your end!). It's rather unfortunate that they insist
people convert back to the analog domain to use their service. One option
available to you is to buy the "softphone"  option on your account. In the
archives for this list, within the last two months or so, you'll find
config examples of how to get Asterisk to connect to vonage with a SIP
channel on the softphone account. That would make your current goal
easier, probably, but more expensive too.

Greg