[Asterisk-Users] Extension "follow me"

Asterisk asterisk at dotr.com
Sat Nov 13 01:39:39 MST 2004

As usual, you sit for hours thinking of how to implement something, and send
an email asking for help. Seconds later, you think of a potential solution:

Thinking that the "extension" is a user, not a phone:

Admin:
1) Record is created with a 4 digit UserID
2) Context to use is stored against this UserID

User Login:
1) The user dials **1#, and enters their 4 digit UserID
2) * looks up a record from the database using the UserID as the key (with
some graceful error handling)
3) * then stores the ${EXTEN} variable as a value against the UserID

Usage (for calls to the User):
1) When someone makes a call to the user, they dial the 4 digit UserID
2) * looks up a record from the database using the UserID as the key (with
some graceful error handling)
3) * gets the current ${EXTEN} variable from the record
4) * dials the ${EXTEN}

Usage (for calls from the user):
1) User dials a number
2) * looks up a record from the database using the ${CALLERIDNUM} as the key
(with some graceful error handling)
3) * gotos to the context defined by the admin
4) * makes the call as normal

User Logout:
1) User dials **1#0000#
2) * looks up a record from the database using the UserID as the key (with
some graceful error handling)
3) * sets the "extension" to 0000 (and thus also indicating that the person
is not available)

This allows anyone to call (for example 5711) and find me, no matter where I
am

This allows for the "person" to be controlled by the dial plan, not the
extension.

For example, the standard way of checking access permissions is by the
context (SIP/5711 is allowed to dial local but not international). However,
I could go to phone SIP/6712 (on my manager's desk) and call an
international number). With the above method, your dial plan restrictions
follow you.

It also allows for * to see if you are available or not - if not it can
divert straight to voicemail.

Just a "straight out of my head" idea. Probably full of holes. I would
appreciate any comments.

Julian