[Asterisk-Users] Over 10,000 lines. Will asterisk manage?

jafar mohammed sonztechnology at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 13 01:11:32 MST 2004

Hi all,

I am to come up with a proposal to setup a network of
over 15,000 lines. I would like to scale down the
costs by using Asterisk as the main switching
equipment. Let me give u the full scenario.

1. Fiber optic cables are to run from the central
exchange to over 2 kilometer radius at selected
distribution points.
2. Every subscriber will have a CAT5 cable terminating
at his residence/office. This will provide both
Internet/Voice and maybe video to the subscriber.
3. SIP phones will be used by the clients, codec
U-Law. Bandwidth is no problem since the fiber network
will provide over 10Gbit.
4. Fiber will run to the main Telecommunication
provider(PSTN) and 2 mobile providers.

Questions are which media protocol should I use? How
many asterisk servers will I need? Are SIP phones/IAX
phones reliable for this kind of project and are they
available in such quantities? How many simultaneous
calls can I achieve if no transcoding is being done?

Keep in mind that their is no need for T1/PRI or any
other type of external lines. Asterisk is to switch
the voice data only.

I believe asterisk will be able to handle this without
a problem and its the way forward for a country which
is ages back in telecommunications. The client has
been approached to buy a switching equipment that can
handle the stated amount of lines for a figure of
$500,000. Asterisk can definately beat that.

Jafar