[Asterisk-Users] SysMaster and GPL Violation

Tom Lahti tom at tx3.net
Sat Nov 13 00:13:45 MST 2004

[snip]

>If someone believes that they are contributing software to a GPL'd
>software project, and does not realize that the nature of your disclaimer
>allows Digium to release their changes under a non-GPL'd license, then
>that is breaking with the spirit of the GPL.

If that is true, then the GPL is not comprehensive enough to cover its own
"spirit", so what you are saying is that the GPL implementation is
fundamentally flawed.

If one can break the "spirit" of it without breaking it, then something is
missing from it that should have there.

On the other hand, if you are injecting some supernatural "spirit" (and
purposely using that word to conjure imagery of the imaginary intangible
qualities that can never be written on paper) of your own into what the GPL
actually is, then the GPL is fine as written, which I suspect is the
case.  The GPL is what it
says, and its spirit comes from what it says, and there is no way that
anyone can break its spirit as such.

Unless you are now claiming to be the author of the GPL, you should stop
trying to be an expert on its "spirit".  The only ones qualified to do so
are John Stallman and his attorneys, misguided though they may be.

>Yet no matter how much I don't care for the GPL, I find myself believing
>contributors who don't fully understand the disclaimer merely to be naive,
>but Digium looking a bit unscrupulous in this regard.

Butter him up and then call him unscrupulous in a later
paragraph.  Beautifully manipulative.

>That obviously won't fix the "moral standing" problem that the FSF would

Your own use of quotes here suggests something interesting.  I'll leave it
to the reader to discover what.

--
Tom