[Asterisk-Users] pressing a key to get out of voicemail?

Paul Fielding paul.fielding at shaw.ca
Fri Nov 12 18:26:43 MST 2004

I've currently got Asterisk configured to take incoming calls and send them directly to my voicemail.  I'd prefer to keep this approach rather than sending people to a menu first.

What I want to be able to do is have voicemail come up, but if someone presses a key, such as 9 or 8 or perhaps a combo 98 or such, have it break out of voicemail and let me authenticate a password, and upon succeeding let me back into a dialplan so I can dial extensions or another outside line.

It appears that there's no way to alter the Voicemail app behavior?

So far the only way I've come up with to do this is to cheat.  Instead of going straight to voicemail I've set it to play a wav file that Backgrounds "This is my voicemail, leave a message.. yada yada", then sends the call to Voicemail, only my Voicemail unavailable message is an empty wave file.  This allows me to press another extension while the first wave file is being played, and as long as I do it before it jumps into voicemail, I can break to another context where I can Authenticate, then send where I want.

But this is a kludge, and I cannot change my voicemail message using regular voicemail tools this way.  I'd rather set it up properly.

Any ideas?

regards,

Paul