[Asterisk-Users] SysMaster and GPL Violation

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Fri Nov 12 15:39:38 MST 2004

> >Joe, I think everyone appreciates the fact that you don't like the way
> >Digium handles the licensing and disclaimers.
>
> Brian, haven't you guessed by now that Joe is crusade-happy?  Just look at
> the "top posting" thread and gaze in awe upon the sheer mass of his posts
> on the subject.  If I were a professional psychiatrist I would have
> additional comments...

You would, huh.

Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not crusade-happy.  I am, however, a bit
exasperated by a user community that plays fast and loose with GPL advocacy
when it suits them, and then jumps to Digium's defense when it is pointed
out that the license isn't being applied to the standards desired by the
FSF.

Of course, if you don't want to discuss things rationally, just say so.

Personally, I believe licensing is important for numerous reasons.  To get
back to the original topic, if SysMaster is violating the GPL, then by all
means, they ought to be taken to the cleaners.  I may have some
philosophical disagreements with the GPL, and would probably be highly
unlikely to license any code I wrote under the GPL, but I'll defend your
right to license code under any license you so wish (even if it's "You may
only use this code if your first name begins with X"), and I'm astounded
that I'm being jumped all over for defending the principles behind the GPL
in view of the Digium licensing model.

It's gotta be a full moon.

... JG