[Asterisk-Users] SysMaster and GPL Violation

Tom Lahti tom at tx3.net
Fri Nov 12 15:23:31 MST 2004

>Joe, I think everyone appreciates the fact that you don't like the way
>Digium handles the licensing and disclaimers.

Brian, haven't you guessed by now that Joe is crusade-happy?  Just look at
the "top posting" thread and gaze in awe upon the sheer mass of his posts
on the subject.  If I were a professional psychiatrist I would have
additional comments...

[snip]

>it allows them the freedom to do side things with Asterisk--yes, with my
>code and your code and everyone else's code too--in order to make a
>living, and validate the thought that doing Asterisk as Open Source could
>be done in a way that Digium could still make some money on it.

It is in fact a trade: Brian etc. contribute code and sign it over, and in
return everyone gets to use Mark's product free of monetary charge.

>IMO we are perched at the very beginning of the revolution that Asterisk
>will bring to telephony.  I don't mind watching the arguments made about
>the minutiae of the GPL; I *really* mind seeing Mark's and Digium's
>motives impugned.

If Digium's main purpose for existing is not "to make money", then why on
earth would Mark create the company in the first place?  It's a hellofa lot
of work to do for kicks. If anyone were that self-sacrificial he probably
would have already committed suicide to avoid the possibility of anyone
suffocating because of the oxygen he himself breathed, long before he
started a company to (gasp!) make money.

--
Tom