[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Administration and Management requirements (splinter from $200 AMP bounty thread)

Michael Giagnocavo mgg-digium at atrevido.net
Fri Nov 12 10:53:13 MST 2004

>Why yet another project proposal? Because the majority of those I have
>seen so far are web (PHP)-based, which often presumes UNIX admin
>experience. The Web paradigm may be easy to access and easy to develop,
>but in terms of administration it is limiting (IMO anyway). Many
>projects also require to run on the Asterisk server, which is often
>undesirable. And none of them have the ease of setup, configuration and
>operation that it seems most users are demanding.

>So, if anyone is interested, I am suggesting particularly a standalone,
>cross-platform project that is simple to install, configure, operate and
>manage. It should operate with or without a database. It can leverage
>existing projects, but it must not have the existence or installation of
>those projects as prerequisite. In other words, if this project uses
>another project's code, it must also include the installation and
>configuration of that project in this one's installer.

Would you consider making it ASP.NET based? XSP is probably the easiest
webserver I've used (xsp --port 80 --rootdir /whatever). That'd be
cross-platform, easy-to-use, no admin required.

Wouldn't *something* have to run on the Asterisk server (i.e., to get access
to the config files). You could write a simple SOAP service (and host with
XSP) to provide that interface, while keeping all the UI on any other
machine.

If you're against this a simple NO suffices. No need for flames or rants.
Thanks.

-Michael