[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Administration and Management requirements (splinter from $200 AMP bounty thread)

Gregory Junker gregory.junker at dayark.com
Fri Nov 12 10:42:09 MST 2004

Starting a new thread at Dean's request.

Why yet another project proposal? Because the majority of those I have
seen so far are web (PHP)-based, which often presumes UNIX admin
experience. The Web paradigm may be easy to access and easy to develop,
but in terms of administration it is limiting (IMO anyway). Many
projects also require to run on the Asterisk server, which is often
undesirable. And none of them have the ease of setup, configuration and
operation that it seems most users are demanding.

So, if anyone is interested, I am suggesting particularly a standalone,
cross-platform project that is simple to install, configure, operate and
manage. It should operate with or without a database. It can leverage
existing projects, but it must not have the existence or installation of
those projects as prerequisite. In other words, if this project uses
another project's code, it must also include the installation and
configuration of that project in this one's installer.

(cut and paste from the $200 AMP thread)

It's obvious that there is a strong demand for a clean, portable,
easy-to-use Asterisk manager application. Apparently those that exist
currently fall short in one or more areas, or we wouldn't be having this
discussion.

Why don't we compile a list of features that people want their manager
app to do for them, and finally do one that works, is easy to install,
and is intuitive? I'd be happy to manage the project, help code it,
design it, whatever it takes. It'll give my decade or so of software
engineering experience something to do.

I'll start off with the obvious:

- The app must allow the administrator, either graphically or via menu-
and dialog-driven GUI, to add, remove and otherwise edit extensions
within the Asterisk PBX software.

- The app must allow the administrator, either graphically or via menu-
and dialog-driven GUI, to add, remove and otherwise edit users within
the Asterisk PBX software.

- The app must allow the administrator, either graphically or via menu-
and dialog-driven GUI, to add, remove and otherwise edit channels within
the Asterisk PBX software.

If anyone is interested in helping continue to describe what you want
from an Asterisk system manager, I am perfectly willing to do my best
and my part to make it happen.

Greg