[Asterisk-Users] SysMaster and GPL Violation -- what about IPEYA

Flynn el_flynn at lanvik-icu.com
Fri Nov 12 06:11:58 MST 2004

On 11/12/2004, "Garry Taylor" <garry at steelclaws.net> wrote:

>What about IPEYA? Do they have a commercial Asterisk license, or are they
>breaking GPL also?
>http://www.ipeya.com/SOHO_Portal.html

Ya know, this could potentially be a long, ugly and drawn-out issue.
Here's why I say so:

On the * Wiki you can find a list of Asterisk System vendors worldwide,
from whom you can supposedly "purchase hardware with Asterisk already
installed". I spent a couple of minutes browsing through that very list
and found more than a few of them were putting out their own
"product", without specifying (at least none that I saw) that it was
based, or had anything to do, with Asterisk. So the only way for you to
know that they are indeed using Asterisk was if you found them from that
very list.

My company for one has not yet put out an official "product" based on
Asterisk, and as it is perhaps it's a good thing -- I might just wait
out until we see the final word on this before embarking on such a
venture.

All in all, I'll just make sure that when we ship something out we're
just going to leave the zap and Asterisk source codes intact in
/usr/local/src and not bother to clean it up; the client will have root
access and we'll just tell them about the GPL stuff in that directory.
would this work?

Flynn