[Asterisk-Users] Re: Top posting

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Thu Nov 11 16:51:19 MST 2004

On November 11, 2004 05:17 am, Bill Seddon wrote:
> Oh, that's a great idea, Tom.  Let's have everyone operate to your exacting
> standards.  I can appreciate that not everyone did their degree in mail
> list etiquette and have lives to live and so want to be economical with
> their time.

I don't recall Tom asking you to adhere to his rules; he gave what his
conditions were for his help.  My conditions are very similar.  If you aren't
going to make half an effort to give me the information I need to help you in
a manner which makes it easy for me to help you, I ain't gonna try.  You
haven't paid anything for my time so I will dole it out any way that suits
me.  Capiche?

> So for my part I scan emails top, bottom or otherwise posted and reply if I
> think I have a contribution to make or something to learn (in my experience
> knowledgeable people are often extremely busy and brief).

Correct.  You seem to have more time to help, or more of a willingness to
expend energy to help than Tom.  If so, good.  If not, no matter, it's your
time anyway.  :-)

> Clearly if something has become illegible or doesn't include relevant
> information, it's not going to garner any attention or convey any useful
> information.  But in my experience most posts on this list are good enough
> and some tolerance goes a long way.

Personally I will top-post if I am giving a message to the effect of "Your
solution was bang-on, my problem is gone, thanks for the help" -- Otherwise I
will put replies inline with the blocks of text that they go with.  Either
way, I trim any irrelevant bits.

-A.