[Asterisk-Users] Re: Is this good or bad

Thomas Eugene Hayden haydenth at msu.edu
Wed Nov 10 12:26:02 MST 2004

After speaking with an employee at the Michigan Public Sevice Commission,
I'm under the impression that initially this is a good thing, but long term
a very bad thing.  The FCC strictly regulates ILECs and CLECs, and requires
ILECs to unbundle their lines and let CLECs lease them at a reasonable rate.
As far as I know, this only applies to analog telephony.  Therefore,
longterm, the big telcos such as SBC, Quest, Bell South, and Verizon are
going to start shifting their lines to pure IP - thus they don't have to
unbundle any network elements for the CLECs.  This will basically drive any
of the CLECs who don't have an infastructure in place out of business
because the ILEC will have zero requirements to share any network elements.

Eventually, companies like Vonage are going to get shafted because SBC (or
whomever) can refuse to terminate traffic from them because they will only
be handling IP traffic and not analog voice.  The FCC won't be able to do
anything and neither will any state regulatory bodies because both have
pledged to have zero regulation in IP traffic.

I'm not an attorney, just a college student studying telecom, so take my
opinion for what it's worth...

 --
tom