[Asterisk-Users] Queue announce behavior for callback agents?

Chris A. Icide chris at netgeeks.net
Sun Nov 7 19:07:52 MST 2004

On 02:25 PM 11/7/2004, Damon Estep wrote:
 >I guess I need to understand the relationship between queue, agent, and
 >ackcall. Seems like if ackcall can tell the queue the call has been
 >answered it must be somewhat aware of what queue called it. Is it that
 >there is a generic token passed?

ackcall doesn't interact with queue at all.

Basically, here is the way things appear to work.  The key to understanding
how agents work is to remember it is a channel, not an application.  Think
of it like you would think of a SIP channel or ZAP channel.

Call is top of the queue

Queue then through whatever strategy it's using pools an agent.  The
message it sends to chan_agent could be considered the same as a SIP invite
for all purposes.

At this time agent rings the end user through whatever technology is set in
agent.conf

The agent answers and (in this case) presses #.

Now, agent sends back a message to queue that the channel has answered the
invite.

Queue now plays the announcement to the agent if it is configured, and then
connects the two channels together.

As you can see, there is no logic in the two modules to send the
announcement message prior to considering the channel answered.  app_queue
would need to be modified to accept an intermediate signal from chan_agent
indicating that app_queue should play an announcement, but not consider the
channel answered.  chan_agent would need to be modified to provide the new
message.

-Chris